Choosing a content management system (CMS) is an important decision that can have huge consequences for your website. Making this choice will be a very difficult decision for you as each CMS has its advantages and disadvantages. But there are two standout platforms that you can directly compare: Joomla vs WordPress.
Both platforms are recognized for their ease of use, extensive customization opportunities, and active communities. While WordPress and Joomla have their pros and cons, they can both be used to create modern, feature-packed sites.
So how do you decide which one is right for you?
Do not worry! We have evaluated both platforms so you can understand which one is better. While you have many good reasons to use WordPress, you should know that WordPress is not the only content management system that helps you create a website.
Without any more preambles, Comparing WordPress vs Joomla Let us begin!
Table of Contents
Joomla and WordPress in numbers
Both WordPress and Joomla are self-hosted, open source content management systems that have been around for over 10 years.
It started as a blogging platform in 2003, WordPress now More than 35.2% of all websites on the Internet use it has become a platform. It is a multipurpose content management system that helps those who want to set up a website. 35.2% of the market for content management systems is WordPress be longing to.
Joomla, which was released in 2005, is almost as old as WordPress. Behind WordPress, Joomla, on the Internet feeding about 3% of all websites and 5.4% of the content management systems market It is the second most popular content management system out there.
While Joomla remains the second crown for now, the market share of its content management system has sadly started to shrink since 2010.
From 2004 to the present To the Google Trend comparison between “WordPress” and “Joomla” If you look at it, you can see that this trend is visually interesting. Joomla had a leading position, or equally popular with WordPress, until 2010, when WordPress was dominant. But after this date, WordPress has continued to grow, while Joomla continues to move in the opposite direction. While these are the results of the trend, the results, of course, do not mean that Joomla has nothing to offer.
What are the advantages of WordPress and Joomla?
If you search for Joomla and WordPress on the internet, you can find a lot of warfare between developers on both sides. In general, both parties have solid reasons why Joomla or WordPress are the best.
1. What are the advantages of WordPress?
- Easy to use: WordPress is considered the easiest content management system to use, especially for non-developers.
- Most suitable for blogs: WordPress includes a distinction for “blog posts” and “static pages”, while Joomla contains only one type of “article” that you can handle with categories.
- Flexibility: WordPress has the largest plugin and theme ecosystem that makes it easy to expand your site with a variety of different features.
- Great community of support: Since WordPress is so popular, blogs, Facebook groups, etc. You can find a lot of help thanks to the huge third-party ecosystem that includes developers.
- Low development costs: This huge community also means that you can do development work a bit cheaper.
2. What are the advantages of Joomla?
- More advanced user management: Joomla offers a more advanced system for user access controls and user management.
- Flexible for different types of content: Joomla components and modules give you a bit more flexibility to view non-standard content types.
- Multilingual support: While Joomla has multilingual support built into the core, WordPress requires you to use a third-party plugin.
- Various templates: Joomla allows you to use different templates for different pieces of content, whereas WordPress only allows you to use one theme.
How easy is it to work with WordPress and Joomla?
While Joomla is a more beginner-friendly option than Drupal, WordPress is still the easiest and fastest way to build a website.
1. The ease of use of WordPress and the learning curve
If you are creating a “normal” website with only static content or a blog, you can set up an attractive WordPress website in just a few hours.
Most of the servers include automatic WordPress installers or come with WordPress pre-installed.
The WordPress interface is easy enough that most casual users can start creating content right away.
How many plugins and themes does WordPress have?
WordPress is currently:
- WordPress currently has more than 54,000 free plugins and thousands of premium plugins.
- WordPress currently has more than 5,000 free themes and thousands of premium themes.
2. The ease of use of Joomla and the learning curve
Most web servers, like WordPress, have an automatic Joomla installer that makes it easy to install Joomla software. But you will still need to spend a little more time and effort on your site than WordPress.
How many extensions and themes does Joomla have?
There are around 8,000 extensions listed in the official Joomla extension library.
There is no official Joomla template library, so it is difficult to specify a number for existing Joomla templates.
Are WordPress and Joomla equally safe?
The main Joomla and WordPress software is secure. Additionally, both platforms have third-party plugins or extensions to provide additional security, as well as in-dash update systems to help you keep everything up to date.
However, security issues caused by human error will arise on these 2 platforms as well as on all platforms.
According to Sucuri data, Joomla sites appear to be hacked more than their market share. But still, in most cases, nothing makes a platform more or less secure.
1. WordPress security
Sucuri ‘hacked website report According to WordPress, it accounts for 74% of hacked websites. Still, WordPress is better than Joomla, according to Sucuri data.
2. Joomla Security
In the same report, Joomla sites make up 17% of all hacked websites; This is quite high considering Joomla’s market share.
Joomla vs. WordPress: which is better?
As with our Drupal comparison, “Which is better?” It is a very wrong question. Both platforms have their advantages. Therefore, there cannot be a 100% superiority.
Instead of, “What platform will be suitable for the needs of the website you will install?” You should ask.
WordPress is probably best for the vast majority of websites and should be your default choice for most situations.
You ask why?
- It is the easiest content management system to use, especially for non-developers.
- You can quickly get started with an attractive website without too much development cost.
- It’s easy to find free, professional help if you have a problem.
However, if you are a developer or have the opportunity to get help from a developer, Joomla can give you more flexibility to view different types of content and manage users.
The only thing to consider here is that Joomla’s market share is declining, which is not the case with WordPress or Drupal.
While Joomla is still in second place and won’t lose its throne anytime soon, it would make more sense for you to choose a content management system that grows in the future.
Joomla and WordPress FAQs
1. Is Joomla better than WordPress?
Although Joomla doesn’t offer as many themes or plugins as WordPress, Joomla users find the platform much more robust than WordPress. While it is true that Joomla is not easy to use at first, there are many reasons why it is worth taking the extra time to use the platform.
2. Is Joomla like WordPress?
Like WordPress, Joomla is an open source CMS that allows you to create powerful web content and applications. It has been a good WP alternative since 2005.
3. Is Joomla still in use?
Yes, Joomla is still one of the most widely used CMS platforms. However, WordPress is increasing its share of the industry. So for Joomla to successfully compete in the market, WordPress needs to find a niche that is underserved.
4. Is Joomla easier than WordPress?
While Joomla is a better option for a beginner than a somewhat user-friendly platform like Drupal, WordPress is still the easiest and fastest way to build a website.
5. Is Joomla a good option for SEO?
Joomla requires attention in terms of SEO, but when you set up your website pages correctly, it provides a very high ranking potential. The software includes basic SEO optimization functionality that experienced developers can extend.
6. What is Joomla used for?
WordPress plus; While used for simple blogs, corporate websites, or small business websites, Joomla is primarily used for e-commerce and social media websites. Drupal is the most advanced CMS platform for technical people who want to have technical features.
7. Is it better for WordPress websites?
WordPress.org is the world’s most popular website building platform. Self-hosted WordPress is cited as the best website builder due to its popularity, powerful features, scalability, and ease of use.
8. What is the main difference between Joomla and WordPress?
The main difference between WordPress and Joomla is that Joomla started as a CMS to serve portal-like websites, while WordPress was a blog-centric platform.
9. Is Joomla easy to use?
Joomla is easy only for developers. But at the same time, Joomla today has a simple design. Therefore, inexperienced users can use Joomla without much experimentation. Joomla is used by millions of developers to create powerful websites.
10. Is Joomla free to use?
Joomla is a free and open source content management system (CMS) developed to publish your web content.
Share in your social networks
For WordPress, the world’s most widely used CMS content management system; Perhaps millions of developers around the world are designing dozens of new themes every
One of the most important ways to earn regular income on the internet is by posting ads on your website. In this revenue model, you
No one would have thought that the internet could be an important part of marketing, but it did. Likewise, no one could have imagined that the